Thanks for the response.  I have worked out a work-around which fixes
the problem.  Instead of setting the view group via
setContentView(vg), I am now setting a FrameLayout as the content
view, and then setting the view group as the child of the
FrameLayout.  In addition, it was necessary to not remove the old view
when setting a new view, but rather hide it.  Then when subsequent
views are set, the oldest view is removed.  It seems that the problem
stems from removing a view while processing a message from a child
control in that view.  If I don't do that, then the view is properly
recycled.  Again note that this seems to be a problem only for 1.6
(and possibly earlier).  It seems to work properly with 2.0 and above.