In the general (platform agnostic) case you solve this by having the
stream "relay" though a service of some sort (eg, a thread) that is
listening for messages from both the HTTP stream handler and whatever
entity you have that will send the interrupt message.  How you'd do
this best on Android I haven't a clue.