It has been my experience that LVL CANNOT be fully tested before
publishing.  Like you, I found that an unpublished app returns
inconsistent results.  If I set the response to denied, for example,
on some phones I got the correct result, and on others I did not.
After I published the app, it did seem to work correctly, but of
course I could only see the results on the phones I had access to.
You just have to take your best shot and hope for the best.