>  It comes back to designing Apps that do not need to be stopped.

Let me guess, you do not own a Samsung Galaxy S I9000?
I was constantly switching to the taskmanager trying to kill
processes, uninstalling all apps that ran in the background, etc until
the 2.2.1 patch. . .  Android might kill a process/app sooner or
later, but I don't want to lag-wait on a 600$ phone.
The Galaxy is (was) veryyyy slow when a few apps ran. And it is the
phone that most of my users own.

Sorry, had to let that out :-)

Greetings from Lucerne,
Stephan