Agreed, which is why it's so frustrating.

As a test, in onCreateOptionsMenu()

@Override
public boolean onCreateOptionsMenu(Menu menu) {
        setTitle("changed");
        .
        .
        .
        return super.onCreateOptionsMenu(menu);
}

Works fine.  In onActivityResult() (this is the code, verbatim)

    @Override
    protected void onActivityResult(int requestCode, int resultCode,
Intent data) {
        super.onActivityResult(requestCode, resultCode, data);

        // check the activity results
        switch (requestCode) {
                case RESULT_RENAME:
                        if (resultCode == -1) {
                                // activity ended successfully
                                Log.d(LOG_TAG, "onActivityResult():
Changing title from " + getTitle() + " to " +
data.getStringExtra(StylePad.Notes.TITLE));

setTitle(data.getStringExtra(StylePad.Notes.TITLE));
                                Log.d(LOG_TAG, "onActivityResult():
New title " + getTitle());
                        }
                        break;
        }
    }

And the logging tells me that the title's been changed, but yet the UI
is NOT updated...  Have tried this on both a Galaxy Tab (2.2) and the
2.2 emulator.