String, there are no leaks around bitmaps in the platform. It is just that,
unfortunately, the current GC takes a few passes to reclaim the native
memory because of the use of finalizers. Android 2.3 attempts to reclaim
bitmaps faster, and in Android 3.0 we moved the bitmap storage to the Dalvik
heap to avoid having to wait for finalizers to run. If bitmaps truly leaked,
they would never get reclaimed, which is not the case.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM, String <sterling.ud...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:18:08 PM UTC, Bob Kerns wrote:
>
> ClassNotFoundError can mean it got an error while loading the class.
>> Perhaps it ran out of memory, just as it was loading this class?
>>

> Hmm, that is a possibility. The app in question does have some memory
> issues, mostly due to the various bitmap memory leak platform bugs (like
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8488 and
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11089). In which case,
> the solution is for me to continue trying to work around those leaks, rather
> than attempting to fix this ClassNotFoundError directly.
>
> String

Romain Guy
Android framework engineer
romain...@android.com

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them