I'm also facing this problem with gingerbread. I created a costumized
music widget and I use that service to control music and get track
infos.
It works fine on 2.1 and 2.2 because the service
com.android.music.MediaPlaybackService is exported.

See manifest file in sorce code.
-----------
Froyo
      :
    <service android:name="com.android.music.MediaPlaybackService"
            android:exported="true" />
     :
---------
Gingerbread
:
<service android:name="com.android.music.MediaPlaybackService"
            android:exported="false" />
:

I don't want to make a new music playback service.
So, android team, is it possible another app use that service??

//Dennix