Actually, after playing with it a bit, I have determined that the
problem lies with installing the app on the SD card.  Apparently the
card is not mounted in time during a reboot.  I presume that it is
simply a bad idea to have a Widget that runs from the SC card, because
the user can unmount it at any time.

My Widget is part of a larger app, which I would still like to install
on the SD card.  I don't suppose that there is any way to install a
second APK file for the Widget on the phone, is there?

Thanks.