On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Shawn Brown <big.coffee.lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What bug?
>
> Are you joking?

No.

> http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/faq/commontasks.html#addexternallibrary
>
> Android docs say add 3rd party libraries as a .jar.

Correct. I'd venture that at least one Android app in 10 does so. It's
fairly commonplace.

> Android docs do mention this at all - that incompatibilities may be
> induced and that the jar will be inaccessable.
> It really should.

You have a different definition of "documentation bug" than I do. By
your definition, every piece of documentation ever written has bugs,
since every piece of documentation ever written could always add more
material.

Moreover, you run into the same problems trying to use JARs between
different Java editions (e.g., JavaME vs. JavaSE vs. JavaEE), Java
versions (e.g., Java 7 vs. Java 6 vs. Java 5 vs. ...), and different
Java implementations (e.g., GCJ vs. OpenJDK). The issues are more
prevalent in Android, because it is by definition different than any
other Java-ish environment. However, this sort of stuff happens all
the time in Java development, and experienced Java developers should
not be fazed by it.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training...At Your Office: http://commonsware.com/training