'%' is *not* (despite what you may have read) the 'modulo' operator.

It is the 'remainder' operator, and yes, it does return negative if
the first value is negative.

See the Java Language Spec:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/expressions.html#264541

I don't know how you are calculating dt or frameTime, but it would
seem exactly one of them is negative, if the rest of what you write is
correct.

Of course, I can't think of what you'd do for dt or frameTime to be
negative -- but that would appear to be where your bug lies.

The difference I would expect is simply that it runs faster without
the debugger, changing the timing, and reducing the value of dt --
somehow below zero.