Yes, it's on the UI thread.
I still think the balance of probabilities is a bug in your code. As far as
I know, permissions are assigned on a app-process basis. And what's the
likelihood of some unspecified change causing the problems, versus a race
condition in your code triggered by a difference in speed between the
emulator and the phone?

Produce a tidy test case and report an issue, then everyone can find out
it's a bug in the Android framework. Until then I think we have to assume
its your bug.

Tom.