Good plan, I didn't think of that. In case anyone is searching for
this solution in the future, the in built alarm sets the icon by
broadcasting an intent. I acheived this with the following code:

    protected void setStatusBarIcon(boolean enabled) {
        Intent alarmChanged = new
Intent("android.intent.action.ALARM_CHANGED");
        alarmChanged.putExtra("alarmSet", enabled);
        sendBroadcast(alarmChanged);
    }

(Done within the scope an Activity, else you will need to pass a
Context).