Why isn't it documented clearly somewhere? Because Google still
believes in that strange myth they got caught up in while designing
their entire development philosophy for Android (and what else?):
throw up early-alpha code and let the community document it for Google
in blogs and mailing lists and even (gasp!) Google groups.

Of course, that IS a myth. The community still does not document it
for Google. This is not just because the community balks at doing
Google's homework for them, it is because the community itself does
not get its hands on such information in a reliable and timely manner.
Too much of what gets written in blogs about open source software is
just rumor with a sprinkling of half-understood facts.

Nor does it help that by the time some generous blogger writes up a
really good series of tutorials on, say, for example, Looper/Handler,
Google announces a new API with much fanfare, describing it as if
writing code using Looper and/or Handler directly is now out of date.
Whether not it is really out of date, it is frustrating, dampening the
enthusiasm of such bloggers for continuing to do Google's homework for
them.