Shouldn't that be somewhere in the Android source? I never did figure
out how to navigate the source, despite the documentation at
http://source.android.com/source/index.html, but that is probably
where you should start.

One of the Google groups concerned with the Open Source Project or
with Porting is probably a better place for your question anyway.