Petter,

On the XML side, you just need something like this in the manifest:

<service
android:name="ServiceClassName"
android:label="@string/service_name">
</service>

Where ServiceClassName can be unqualified if it's right in the application package, or ".subpackage1.subpackage2.ServiceName" if it's nested inside another package - or a fully qualified name in either case.

Make sure that your <service/> is inside <application>...</application>.

And by the way, what do you get in the logcat?

-- Kostya