Because your 3D world is virtual and infinite, meaning that it's not
fixed at 0 to 100.  Your whole world could be 0 to 1 if you wanted or
-1000 to 1000.  This means that you really need floats because there
will be too much error if everything is rounded to the nearest whole
number.  Also, If you were to use ints or longs, there would be
potential for overflow instead of rounding, which would be disastrous
for any of the math.