I'm not happy with the other answers, though they are not really
incorrect. (The "object with a hashmap of properties" thing that Hari
mentions is not really a JavaBean, though some packages can use maps
as if they were implicitly a JavaBean).

I'd rather explain it from a minimalist point of view.  A JavaBean is,
at a minimum, an object with data that you access with public getter
and setter methods.

e.g. public void setFoo(String foo) and public String getFoo() --
although it doesn't need to be strings. This corresponds to a String-
valued property named 'foo'.

There's more layered on that, in terms of facilities to manipulate and
work with them, but when someone says "bean class", that's all you
really know they're talking about. That's enough to be a JavaBean.