This is probably too late for you Chad. But just for the record and to help
more people like me (who spended an hour trying to figure this out).

I was able to debug after calling the camera intent putting a manual
breakpoint like this:

if (!Debug.isDebuggerConnected()){
Debug.waitForDebugger();
Log.d("debug", "started"); // Insert a breakpoint at this line!!
}

Then the debugger will stop here and you can continue to debug.

*CAUTION!!* This will stop to debug even if it is on RUN mode. So remeber to
take this lines out before publishing the app!!

If someone got a better way to do this, please let me know.

Regards,
Carlos Eduardo Rührwiem