Sure you can! There's nothing that says you must have an Activity in
your application. Does your widget handle all user interaction though?
Do you have any notifications that a user might click on and expect to
see an activity UI? A user can always find your application in the
Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications list, so has a way to
remove it even if there is no launcher icon in the Apps area. What
about preferences? That's an activity too. But if you don't need any
of that, you don't have to have an activity in your app.

- dave