Thanks Diane.
I see my thinking was wrong. I thought that in the manifest, the
designer can tell the OS that all of the activities are protrait and
should never get notified of a change in orientation outside of your
activity (except if implementing onConfigurationChanged).
I was hoping to tackle all of the complexities of orientation changes
at a later date, since the app itself is pretty complex already :-).

Just curious, I notice that if the user is in my app and the user hits
the home button, Android stays in the orientation the app was in.
Then, when the user turns the device, the orientation changes, but my
sleeping app does not go through the onDestroy()/onCreate() change
configuration callbacks.
Why would it not be similar, when the device is going to sleep? I.e.,
put the app to sleep, change configuration if it wants to (but don't
do the callbacks, since the app specifically said it does not support
landscape), and when it returns from sleep, discover that the app is
portrait only so change to portrait and restart app?

So, just to be sure I understand, there is really no safe way to
create an app that does not handle both orientations?

Kim