I am curious why if in your onDestroy you shut down any tasks/threads, your
app would still show up? I would think it would exit properly if you wanted
it to. Perhaps I misunderstood that. I thought if the lifecycle onDestroy
fires, that meant your app (or at least the activity) was going to be done.
If you only have one activity then your app should essentially close. If
your app is made of multiple activities, then calling finish() does that not
end the activity? Assuming you have 3 or 4 running, and you call that on all
of them, wouldn't your app shut down?

I see I still need to learn more on the lifecycle stuff.