Of course, if you go beyond the official SDK documentation, all bets
are off once you start to consider what might happen with newer
versions of the Android platform on the same devices, or on devices
from a different manufacturer, or using a different chipset, or using
a different protocol to communicate between the application CPU and
the baseband CPU.

There's nothing wrong going to see what happens "under the hood", as
long as you understand that you're leaving the realm of the SDK with
its supported APIs that are meant to stay compatible across versions
and across devices, and that peeking under the hood is nothing more
than anecdotal data on implementation details about which no
compatibility is guaranteed or even implied.

Discussions about what happens under the SDK APIs are probably better
suited for the android-platform mailing list, such that this list
remains dedicated to discussions related to developing applications on
top of the SDK APIs.

JBQ