Okay. I can accept that waiting until onActivityCreated() doesn't make
a significant difference. But I still shouldn't be doing disk I/O or
network accesses on the UI thread, right? On Honeycomb, a network
access on the UI thread is fatal (see Brad's blog post on StrictMode).
So I have to create a background thread if I want to get data when my
application starts. Yes I will need to use messaging to notify my
activity that the data is ready to be consumed. I'll now be prepared
to wait until after onResume() to expect those messages. Thank you for
the answer. This is very helpful information.

- dave