I've been battling a hang (deadlock) in OpenGL for the past week.  I've finally
realized that the system hangs after the garbage collector runs.  Here is an
example from LogCat:

02-16 08:49:32.609: INFO/ActivityManager(98): Displayed activity
com.southernstars.skysafari/.SkySafariActivity: 2219 ms (total 2219 ms)
02-16 08:49:37.369: DEBUG/dalvikvm(1863): GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 4144 objects /
387544 bytes in 46ms
02-16 08:49:37.389: ERROR/Adreno200-ES20(1863): gsl_device_waittimestamp failed
in rb_timestamp_wait_on_timestamp
02-16 08:49:38.516: WARN/SharedBufferStack(1863):
waitForCondition(LockCondition) timed out (identity=157, status=0). CPU may be
pegged. trying again.

Anytime the LogCat shows a GC_FOR_MALLOC or a GC_EXTERNAL_ALLOC, the app hangs
with OpenGL in this LockCondition.  It appears that GC_EXPLICT, for the most
part, does not cause a problem (maybe these are smaller allocs, I don't know).

Searching the internet, it seems that people are reporting things like this on
the HTC phones.  Usually they say the problem is very sporadic and hard to
reproduce.  I can reproduce it easily by simply putting a System.gc() call into
my application flow or by doing something that allocates a chunk of memory
forcing the GC to run.

I have this problem on an HTC Evo.  My development partner has a different
phone and is not seeing this.

I'm totally at a loss what to do next.  Has anyone seen anything like this or
have a plausible explanation for what is going on?  Is there any way it could
be something unusual we are doing in the app?  Or is it just a bug in the HTC
system or drivers?

Thanks for any help.

--
Bill Tschumy