I'd love to hear opinions on the best way to communicate between
fragments.

If we consider that fragments are like sub-activities (a common
metaphor), then we might think to use broadcast messages to tell one
fragment about something that happened in another fragment. That seems
a bit difficult though not impossible.

The samples simply lookup one fragment from another then access views
directly. This forces that fragment to understand what's going on
around it, which doesn't feel as object-oriented as I'd like. I'd feel
better if maybe the activity was doing that sort of coordination, so
the fragment tells the activity, and the activity figures out which
other fragment, if any, needs to get a message, then invokes a method
on the fragment so it can perform any updates. Or the activity could
decide we're in a situation where we need to fire up a separate
activity. Or maybe move things around on the screen.

Am I over-complicating things here? I realize that a mobile app should
be as compact as possible, and if that means "just do it" and access
views in other fragments directly, then I could go along with that.
But I thought I'd ask the group to get some other opinions.

- dave