Whenever I create dialogs, I use onCreateDialog() and let the Activity
handle creation...
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Activity.html#onCreateDialog%28int,%20android.os.Bundle%29

To display the dialog use showDialog()...
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Activity.html#showDialog%28int%29

This lets the activity handle creating your dialog (and caches it)... Then
you can show it as many times as you want without a problem.