I finally got it working!  You need to have onDown return true.... The call
to return super.onDown(eve) is what was causing it to fail... I was finally
able to find a similar problem on StackOverflow that had the answer:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4394025/android-gesturedetector-not-working-gesturedetector-ontoucheventevent-always