I have a fantasy football app that was active during the 2010 season.  Now
that the season is over, the app is still out there on the market but
wouldn't be of much use considering it's set up for 2010.  I'm in
preparations for a 2011 version and my first thought was to simply upload an
entirely new app while making reference to the 2010 version that I would
update to say "thanks for a great 2010 season..." and turn from a paid
application to free.  If I go that route, I'd certainly lose the reviews and
rating I've accumulated over the last 5 months and that could lead to some
confusion if both apps stay active in the market.  On the positive, I
wouldn't need to implement in-app billing for an "enable 2011 mode", I
suspect I'd have fewer complaints about, "well, I bought this last year and
now I have to pay again?", even though that's still effectively the case.
 I'm not really sure which way to take this.  I've gone back and forth a
number of times and can see the positives on both sides.

For those that have implemented in-app billing, how much of a pain is it?
 How difficult is it to test?  Also consider that I'll have people updating
that need to make that in-app purchase, but new purchasers would have that
feature immediately, or perhaps the app would turn free and everyone would
need to do in-app billing for the 2011 mode.

Have any of you gone through something similar... how have you approached
it?  Any feedback on the experience of implementing in-app billing is
appreciated as well.  Thanks.

--
Chris Stewart
http://chriswstewart.com