My understanding is that you should use getApplicationContext when possible.
  Using "this" as the context introduces the possibility of accidentally
hanging on to a reference to your entire activity, thus creating a memory
leak.   As for getBaseContext(), I believe you use that when you create a
context wrapper, to get the context that's being wrapped.  I could be wrong
about that though... never used it.

~c