Use Threads only for long running operations.
If you have only simple if/else if/else without anything that would
block the UI for a long time, then using threads is an overkill.

If you need polling, then create a class that implements Runnable and
google "Java Threads" for info how to do threads in Java. It's not
much different in Android.
http://d.android.com/resources/articles/painless-threading.html