Hi,

I'm trying to develop a firewall for Android using the sdk, and I
understand the only way to do so using java and without modifying
Android itself is through iptables. There are some old comments in
this group that claim that iptables is no included in Android, but
after the release of the code, I checked and iptables is included
among the projects used in Andoid (maybe it has been a latter
addition). Therefore I assume that it can be used in Android.

My code tries to execute commands using a java Process, and so far it
seems to work,since I've been able to do an "ls", for example. But
when I use iptables I don't receive any result(after trying to block
all traffic I can still use the browser), or any error on the outputs
(I've checke both standard and error output). I don't know if that's
caused because I'm not using the command correctly, or because of a
lack of permissions, or because of the absence of iptables among
Android commands.

Does anyone have an idea about the reason for this? (I mean, if
someone knows for sure that iptables is not included, or that is
included but can only be used as an administrator, or any other reason
that is clearly preventing this from working...if there's no apparent
reason for it not to work, then I'll asume it's an error on my code or
in the command I'm trying to execute)

The commands I'm trying to use are:

iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -Z
iptables -t nat -F

iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP

in order to block all traffic, and therefore see if it's working or
not in an easy way.

Thank you for your help