You will have to keep in mind that the 1.5 phones have no chance of
ever being upgraded. So they are there to stay, as long as the owner
thinks they are devcent as a phone (most are). You'll need to support
1.5 for at least another two years. I have my MinSDK set at 3 and use
reflection successfully.

Once you understand that it's not much more than an additional "shell"
that prevents the system from checking if an object is compatible with
the target SDK you'll find reflection pretty easy to use.