Getting a list of installed Activities is relatively straight-forward, but
getting a list of installed Services is... less so...

final Intent mainIntent = new Intent();
final List<ResolveInfo> pkgAppsList =
getPackageManager().queryIntentServices(mainIntent, 0);

This code returns a list of zero items..  I've tried a number of varying
Intents and searched on this forum and Google, but to no avail..

What I want to be able to do is provide a list of installed Services for the
User to be able to choose from. My app would then start and stop this
Service at their request.

I suspect that the Intent I am querying with is 'wrong' ,but I'm not sure
how to rectify it. In the case of Activities you simply look for Activities
that can be started with Intent.ACTION_MAIN and Intent.CATEGORY_LAUNCHER,
but it's less obvious what is the equivalent for Services.

Any ideas how I might achieve this? The API suggests that this is eminently
possible...