I'm trying to detect when the phone's screen turns on and off with the
SCREEN_ON and SCREEN_OFF Intents.  A BroadcastReceiver declared in the
AndroidManifest doesn't work with these screen on/off Intents, but
instantiating a BroadcastReceiver programatically at runtime does
work.

As far as troubleshooting goes: my AndroidManifest BroadcastReceiver
is properly receiving other Intents, such as for phone boot.  There is
no helpful information in LogCat.  And this isn't a permissions issue,
since it works when declared programatically.

There are no explanations in the JavaDocs (e.g. its not like the
battery changed Intent which cannot be declared in the Manifest),
although when searching through the Android source I discovered that
none of the Android OS services declare interest this particular
Intent in XML either.

So any ideas why I can't declare SCREEN_ON and SCREEN_OFF in the
AndroidManifest?