Yes, I know about this URL and have downloaded much of the source
code.  The delicate problem is how to build in access to the internal
classes that I need and have them be invoked correctly by Android.
Question is, how to do this without in effect rolling your own version
of Android i.e., doing a full build ... after all, (this probably
includes Linux), there are 8 million lines of code in Android.  This
would likely turn into a project unto itself.

I have an old android.jar from version 0.9 with the internal classes
available.  When I try to use that, the Eclipse aapt environment
immediately figures out what I'm trying to do, fails my attempt, and
gives me a snarky message saying that I'm going to have problems
trying to do this.

Monsieur Queru - any comment?

Thanks

dreamer