I have been unable to find out how to launch the browser activity in
1.0_r1.

I've found a couple of posts giving examples of how to do it, but they
seem out of date as some of the functions are no longer available.

Here is what I have:
                        Intent intent = new Intent();
                        ComponentName comp = new ComponentName
("com.google.android.browser",
"com.google.android.browser.BrowserActivity");
                        intent.setComponent(comp);
                        intent.setAction("android.intent.action.VIEW");
                        intent.addCategory("android.intent.category.BROWSABLE");
                        Uri uri = Uri.parse(url);
                        intent.setData(uri);
                        try
                        {
                                startActivity(intent);
                        }
                        catch (Exception e)
                        {
                                e.printStackTrace();
                        }

But I get an ActivityNotFound exception.