I wanted to follow up on this question.  I got it working tonight by using
RelativeLayout.  The overall design is as such:

RelativeLayout
 -- LinearLayout
   -- Fragment A
   -- Fragment B
   -- Fragment C
 -- /LinearLayout
 -- RelativeLayout (with android:layout_alignParentBottom="true")
   -- TextView
 -- /RelativeLayout
/RelativeLayout

--