It appears, by your code, that you *are* drawing on the bitmap through the
canvas. However, I'm guessing your *real* question is: why is my bitmap not
being displayed on the screen? Well, that's because your bitmap or canvas is
not associated at all with any buffers which finally get displayed on your
device.

Here are 2 options for you:

1) If you're just trying to display a picture to the screen that doesn't
change, then just put an ImageView in your view hierarchy and define the
"android:src="R.drawable.bg"".

2) If you're end goal is to do custom drawing onto the screen, then you're
going to have to create a custom view and override the onDraw method, which
*gives* you the Canvas object which is "linked" to the display.

Remember, a Canvas is just a tool for drawing onto a bitmap. It
has, inherently, nothing to do with drawing something to the screen.

Nick