On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Indicator Veritatis <mej1...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> But (and you knew there was a 'but' coming), even this leaves
> important questions unanswered. In particular, what does it mean to
> "have input focus over any other activities"? You imply elsewhere that
> it does NOT mean unconditional possession of focus, you imply it has
> something to do with windows, but exactly what it does mean is not
> stated here nor (anywhere I could find) in the original online docs.

Windows are in Z order.  The top-most window in Z order that wants input
focus gets it.

The window manager implements a simple policy for Z ordering.  The parts of
interest here are:

1. All windows associated with activities at the bottom, ordered by the
global activity stack.
2. Toasts (which can't get input focus).
3. Status bar elements.
4. System dialogs (like crash / ANR dialogs).
5. Lock screen and its UI elements.

Thus if your activity is resumed, it is at the top of the stack, and if it
asks for input focus it will take it from all other activities since those
are below it.  However windows can still be on top of it, which can take
input focus away from it.

(Sorry about being slow on this, I have been having trouble with my
account.)

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer