I root all my phones. Root lets you access your app's data directory,
which is handy for viewing/editing a database or shared preferences
file.

But I don't run custom roms (Unless I'm actually tested something
related to that rom). Custom roms definitely can lead to ridiculous
problems.

I've gotten several phones from craigslist and ebay. Popular phones
can be much cheaper there and you don't need to deal with contracts or
activation fees or anything.

-Kevin