Mark - thanks for the suggestion.

I ended up making a couple of general-purpose CursorWrapper
subclasses, one for joining two providers & one for filtering a
provider (with a callback to define the desired rows).

They certainly seem to work, and they make the calling code very tidy.
I do still have some performance issues to deal with, but I'm sure
they will respond to tweakery.

Richard