Sounds like your maps share some common underlying resource. Not sure
if that would be a defect or by design. Perhaps you can manually call
onSaveInstanceState() and onRestoreInstanceState() to save / restore
the respective maps state as needed?

http://code.google.com/android/reference/com/google/android/maps/MapView.html#onRestoreInstanceState(android.os.Bundle)