Hi there,
some weeks ago I ask you about service life cycle and about the
START_STICKY flag returned from onStartCommand(), for allowing the
service to be restarted after it has been killed by the system. This
way works fine on Android 2.1 and 2.2 but not in Android 2.3
(Gingerbread)... the system never calls onStartCommand() after the
service has been killed.
here:
https://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/b5c4aaa0ff1a609a/429fe6ab69ab72d2?hl=it#429fe6ab69ab72d2

I found a topic about this and it confirm it is a gingerbread bug.
here:
https://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/d87fb390c13d141d/063e74b9e1e98f9a?hl=it&lnk=gst&q=Gingerbread+BroadcastReceiver+Issue#

As a workaround I try to set the service as visible with
startForeground(). Anyway I guess that this flag can't guarantee my
service is always running for a long time, isn't it? Because after a
long time my service has been killed again and it isn't restarted
anymore.

Maybe it is my fault... when I call startForeground an ongoing
notification is set until I call stopForeground. While the service is
running I set new ongoing notifications overriding that one has been
passed from startForeground. Can this break the service foreground
state?

Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I hope it's clear anyway what I
want to tell you. If you have any questions, please ask me.

Thanks

Paolo