I was going to play with tweaking these settings, too, because
sometimes it takes off to voice recognition land before the user is
really done... especially for new users... but the javadoc warns in a
way that leads me to believe that these settings could be pretty
unreliable... and your experience seems to support that.  Other folks
might have gotten it to work, but it seems like a tricky thing to get
right anyway.