I've had this same problem too and actually posted to the mailing list a few
weeks ago but got not responses:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-developers/6GfbdsJIj9k/discussion

I was testing it on hardware by simply rotating the phone, changing the
orientation and recreating the activity.  However, the problem occurred
randomly for me; it was very hard to reproduce as instance state would be
restored after most orientation changes.  On a handful of occasions, the
instance state would be wiped out as my UI would display as if started anew.
 I have no solution so far.  I did a search some time back on the Android
issues list at Google Code to see if it was a known bug, but I found
nothing.

One workaround would be to persistently store the state which you wish to be
restored in onPause.  If the state bundles in onCreate or
onRestoreInstanceState are not filled, you could restore from persistent
state.