Don,

It is indeed open source: the K-9 project is making enhancements to the
mainline email client.  This is basically a stop-gap until android is able
to accept patches, but we've already made several significant changes to the
email client (allow self-signed certificates, exchange support is coming
soon, ...).

http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/

Bradley