I don't really have that use case personally, but I can't imagine your
receiver would not be allowed to start an Activity.

In fact, searching the forums here, it looks like others have done the
"start at bootup" thing, using a receiver, and they have declared it
works:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/a01fb0388f9c0d36.