You could try the following:
long-click in your browser to download the apk file to your SD card.

Then use the OI File Manager to select the file and install it.

You can find and download OI File Manager here:
http://www.openintents.org/en/node/159
http://www.openintents.org/en/download#filemanager

Let me know if that works, or if you still encounter problems.

Peli
www.openintents.org
www.openintents.biz