Use an AsyncTask -- unless both of the following are true:

   - AsyncTask doesn't meet your needs somehow
   - You know very clearly and well how to properly synchronize between
   threads, and how to transfer work to the UI thread where needed, etc.

If AsyncTask doesn't meet your needs, and you don't have the second
requirement -- you have a very steep (and error-prone) learning curve ahead
of you. The whole idea of AsyncTask is to make it easier to write reliable
asynchronous code.

Generally speaking -- if you have to ask, AsyncTask is probably the answer.