I mostly agree with the blog post but some additional thoughts:

1) Google just opened up paid apps in more countries. There's
potential to turn current pirates into legit users. However if they're
already used to downloading your app from the pirate sites then even
after you release an update they might not even both getting it from
the Market. Unless they can't get it from the pirate sites right away.

2) In my experience, the way Android piracy works is that people get
APKs using the 15 minute period, then they run the APK through the
easily available LVL removing tool, then they post the APK. They're
doing this so frequently and so fast that they DON'T EVEN TEST THE APK
before posting. My app used to crash within 10 seconds of launch due
to something happening in the LVL removing tool. I had tested the tool
before publish and knew about this, but figured hey that means people
won't use the tool. Now I know better, such a setup means getting a
whole lot of emails from users complaining that it crashes as soon as
they open it. So instead I do a really simple check to see if the LVL
removing tool was used and if so I finish the activity and launch the
Market. By hand a person could find and remove this check easily, but
now when people blindly run the tool at least I won't get emails
complaining about crashes.

My point is that in order to make it inconvenient to pirate, you need
your LVL to sneak past the tool. Worrying about a human cracking your
app is less of an issue as by the time one does that the app has
likely been out for a while and you have an update almost ready. But
if the tool works then it can be on all the pirate sites nearly
instantly after you release an update.

-Kevin